Artistic Statement for Amelie-An Series

Artistic Statement for Amelie-An Series

Amelie-An was born in Can Tho, South Vietnam in February 2008 with a cleft lip/cleft palate and was abandoned as a new born infant. I came back to Vietnam in December of the same year ( for the first time since 1975 ) to adopt her as a child of special needs when she was 10 months old. At age 4, she went thru two painful surgeries to correct the problems….but that is not all. The doctor said she will need 3 more major surgeries by the age of 10 to fix the problems. Currently, she has problems with talking since she can’t feel the inside of her mouth very well.

I felt a great deal of empathy for the child perhaps because I went thru a chain of events of misfortunes in my early life. I felt that it is my duty to give her all the love and care that she needs and painting her is a good way for me to show her that I adore her. I would like to immortalized her.

Yes, I am documenting her life as she grows. I would like to capture the fleeting moments of her young life as much as I can…. All of the “Kodak Moments” that a mother would like to keep and remember forever.
www.thunguyenpaintings.com

 

Comments

Popular Posts